Tuesday, January 18, 2011

【Huilan's Writting】The Red Bean

The Red Bean

                            
By Huilan


The red bean grows in South
Its spare sprouts weave
with spring
Glean some more for me, I pray
So that you’ll see
It’s the sign
of remembrance.

This is an ancient Chinese poem. It is very famous in China. I read this poem for the first time when I was nine. Since then, I wanted to become a poet. And how I longed to have a red bean, a real poet’s red bean! After all, what was a poet without a real red bean? So I kept asking my classmate Xiaoyan for one, but she only had one herself and she would only smile and say sorry to me each time.


We were in an elementary school. Xiaoyan was a farmer’s daughter, but all of us lived in the city. The first time when she went to our class, she wore a very dirty and shabby skirt. The teacher told us Xiaoyan lived with her aunt after her parents died. She was good at all her subjects.


When Xiaoyan went into the classroom and wanted to take a seat, everyone told her that the seat had been taken. Then Xiaoyan changed the row for another seat. While she was walking near me, I just said, “you can sit near me if you want.” Then she sat near me without saying a word.


Soon we became very good friends. Every day we walked to class and went back home together. We were always the best students in our class.


Time passed. A new term was beginning. One day when we were climbing a mountain, Xiaoyan got so tired that she just couldn’t move a step further. She dropped to the ground and tears rolled down her cheeks.


Just then I caught her up. I sat down by her side, took out an apple to her as I usually did, but she refused it. “What happen to you?” I asked. “I am thinking this is the end.” She answered with a soft and quiet voice. “I won’t ask you for the red bean any more. I promise you, but you don’t cry, please.” I continued to say to her. However, she didn’t open her mouth this time. After a while, she told me she wanted home and she would like to see her parents very soon.


The next week things were even worse. Xiaoyan didn’t come to class on Monday morning. It has never happened to her before. So I worried and ran to her aunt’s house at the break time. In a small and dark room, Xiaoyan was lying on her bed. Her face was pale, and her lips were white. Clearly she was very sick and was dying! Her eyes fell on me and she motioned me to come nearer. With an effort, she stopped her tears and smiled to me. She took out the red beans from a lovely box and passed them to me.


“This red bean was my mother’s. She left it to me before she was gone. She ……she wanted me to become a poet……. Now, I ……I want you to keep it.” She took a very long time to say these words. These were her last words.


I cried out as if my heart would break. I lost my best friend at that moment. Three days later, I brought my first poem to Xiaoyan’s little mound. I didn’t cry when I was looking at her. I just put my poem to her quietly:


I’m coming, little maid
With the warm flame laden
With the fruit for the trees
With grain for the fields
Every little stream is lively
All the orchard trees are golden
And on each small and waving shoot
Hangs your dream

1 comment:

  1. Huilan,You are a beautiful women with a gift for words. What a wonderful Blog and web page...RaRa

    ReplyDelete