Friday, January 28, 2011

【Huilan's Writting】The Orchard (2)


By Huilan

Everything was changed from that day. As a result at the quarrel, Zhang didn’t go back home for months and even didn’t give Liu a phone call, and such a thing never had happened during their 35 years marriage. In fact, they had argued over things during the years, but they always made peace again a few days later. But this time was unusual. Liu didn’t know what to do. She tried to call Zhang at once, but he didn’t even give her a word and then hung up the phone immediately. Liu realized that things never as simple and easy as she thought. She wanted to do something to change Zhang’s mind sometimes, but then she knew well that it wouldn’t work at all. “ What am I going to do the next?” she asked herself many times and figured out that the only way was to change Susan’s mind. She decided to tell Susan the truth.

“Susan, I’ll tell you something which I didn’t tell you over the months. Your father didn’t came home for half of year now.” Liu told Susan with a sadly voice.

“Really? I’m very sorry to hear you said that. Did he give you a phone call or write a letter or something else?”

“No, no, the whole thing is even more worse than you can imagine. You know me well, and you know that I have never been against your decision at anytime, but you know what, you father said if you dare to get married with that black guy or any foreign guy, he’ll get divorced with me.”

“What! He said he’d get divorced with you? I can’t believe this. You know the whole thing is mine, not yours, and you have no mistake at all. I don’t understand what he’s talking about.”

“But you do know your father. He’ll do what he said.”

“So, what we should do right now?”

“I want to ask you the same question.”

“I don’t know, Mom, but I won’t change my mind this time as I promised.”

“Oh, I see. I see. You won’t change your mind indeed, and your father won’t change his mind, of course. Now just I can change my mind and to agree to be divorced with your father, and then you both can get what you want.”

“I didn’t mean that, really. Mom, I just love him and can’t break my words to him.”

Liu didn’t say one more word to her daughter. When she hung up the phone, she just wanted to cry or yell loudly, but she couldn’t. She felt over exhausted from the battle between her husband and her daughter, and she really didn’t know where to put herself.

Liu saw the family picture put on the wall with three happy faces, and she was thinking that the happy time would never be again in this family. The happiness was over. Everything was over. She thought it deeply and she knew it deeply. She got tired with the family problem, and felt she had nothing to do with the situation. She turned around in front of the mirror slowly and saw her white hair was waving with the wind from the window. “Well, well, I can go nowhere. Maybe I just can go Mom’s home for a while.” She said to herself and then smiled, “right, this is the best way to spend time.”

From that point, Liu decided to go back to China with her old Mom. And how longed she wanted to see her Mom at that moment. She felt she’s never left her Mom even though she was living in the United States. She was a real Mom, but she needed her own Mom, too. Only Mom was the person who all kids needed over all of their lifetime. When Liu thought of her Mom, her pain was suddenly relieved. Two days later, Susan and Zhang received the same email message from Liu from China. It said:

I know you both don’t need me anymore, but I’ve done my best to you both of what a woman should be done during the years. I worked hard and earned enough money for my husband during his university years and saved his life once from the lion, which we met on the mountains, and I gave my daughter the best of every day’s life and education and now she’s growing up. Theses two people were my heart, and were always more important than my own life, but now all things have changed and I feel I don’t need them, too. Life is a dream for me and when I wake up now, I figure out that I have to live my own life and so I’ll have it at last.

(to be continuted)

No comments:

Post a Comment